Shipping Coordinator APPLY NOW
The role of a Shipping Co-ordinator requires someone who pays attention to detail, has an understanding of the basic accounting processes involving quotes and invoicing. Previous experience within other areas of Shipping would be an advantage, but being able to demonstrate good communication skills, being able to work within a team and an understanding of commercial enterprise may be sufficient.
What does a Shipping Coordinator job description include?
- A Shipping Coordinator job is very varied and relies heavily upon good organisational and administrative skills. Your daily tasks will include responding to customers or shippers questions or in some cases complaints.
- Providing routing information and issuing shipping instructions to ensure deliveries arrive on time and to their correct location. You will also be responsible for tracking of goods enroute to their destination ensuring any problems that may arise are resolved so as to avoid delays.
- A Shipping Coordinator is responsible for the preparation of quotes for customers, which will involve examining products or materials to estimate quantities or weight and type of container required for storage or transport.
- You will also liaise with accounts for the preparation of invoices ensuring shipping costs are calculated accurately and passed onto customer. The Shipping Coordinator is also required to review sales and prepare reports for senior manager comparing actual sales against targets set.
- The Shipping Coordinator’s job is to negotiate rates with suppliers such as carriers, warehouse operators and insurance companies and prepare tariffs for customers, ensuring the require profit margins as directed by the company are achieved.
Key skills and qualifications of a Shipping Coordinator’s Job:
- Ideally to become successfully employed as a Shipping Coordinator you will be educated to degree standard or you will have experience working in a customer focused role within the shipping industry.
- A good Shipping Coordinator will have excellent communication skills both written and verbal and will be able to present information in a clear and concise manner.
- It is essential to have a sound understanding of commercial enterprise and be familiar with basic accounting.
- You must have good reasoning skills and be able to analyse data and prepare reports reflecting findings and advise on strategic direction in relation to your role.
- As a Shipping Coordinator’s job is customer facing, excellent interpersonal skills are essential.
- Strong negotiations skills are also needed and the ability to influence others.
- You will be required to work with industry standard computer packages such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint.