Posted on Leave a comment

Worn out chest transformation!

 

This little chest was a mess when Candice and I picked it up.  Several damaged spots and a few different paint spills on the top.  I knew it still had a lot of life left in it and snatched it up!  It sat at the shop for a couple weeks while I thought about the perfect design.

You can see several spots where I filled and sanded, and the entire top was sanded down to remove the layers of spilled paint and the shine.  We used Dixie Belle Brown Mud and our Surfprep Sander to complete this step.  The dry time for Dixie Mud is quick, and you can speed it up by using a heat gun.  It is much easier to use and is paintable.

Once the filling and sanding was complete we moved on to priming the piece.  I highly recommend priming to eliminate the possibility of bleed through and improve adhesion.  I used Wise Owl Stain Eliminating White Primer.  It is recommended that you let the primer dry for 24 hours, however I was in a hurry and waited about two hours with a fan on it.

 

Once it was dry I used Wise Owl Chalk Synthesis Paint in Higgins Lake.

Thanks to my previous priming step the paint went on easily.  I gave it two coats to make sure it was perfectly smooth, however the coverage was good enough I could have got by with just one coat.  I let each coat dry for about thirty minutes under a fan.  It is important that you not do another coat to soon as it could cause adhesion issues with any brand of paint.

Fast forward an hour!

 

Time for the Cosmic Roses transfer by Redesign With Prima!  I have only used a few transfers previously so i was definitely a little nervous as my last attempt was less than successful 🙁

There are definitely some tricks to applying these things, the first and probably most important is to put it in the refrigerator for about thirty minutes before you start to use it.  (This was the first time I tried it and WOW, it went on without an issue.  The Redesign Transfer Tool is easy to use and really helps with the process.

Steps To Using Transfers:

  1. Put the transfer in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  2. Use Blue Painters Tape To put the transfer on the piece to find the right location.
  3. Use an Exacto Knife or scissors to cut transfer as needed.  (Some may to be too large for the piece you are working with.  Cut carefully until your desired design fits your piece.)
  4. Tape your newly cut pieces back onto piece to make sure it is where you want it and to provide a guide as you apply pieces.
  5. Carefully remove the backing making sure the transfer does not touch!
  6. Apply the transfer onto the piece and use the transfer tool to apply.  Press firmly and go over it multiple times to ensure that it adheres.
  7. Slowly and carefully pull off the cover sheet.  If you notice pieces of the transfer pulling off press down with transfer tool.

Slow and Steady wins the race here, DO NOT rush this process, there is nothing worse than damaging your transfer!

 

It took me about twenty minutes to apply the transfer the way I wanted, due to the large size of the transfer and small piece of furniture I had to do a lot of cutting to fit it the way I wanted.  So worth the time!   Once the transfer was on I moved on to Varnishing the piece.  For this I used Wise Owl Varnish – Satin!  I used two coats to make sure that I had even coverage.  Using a topcoat/varnish over the transfer is key to ensuring that the transfer stays where it is supposed to and doesn’t start peeling.

Thin coats make are key here, use long even strokes all the way across the piece to ensure it is adequately sealed and that you are not missing any spots.  Your first coat may look patchy or streaky, give it another coat, it will smooth out.

I wasn’t happy with the top and decided to add some glaze to make the top stand out.  I used Wise Owl Java Glaze to achieve the look.  I brushed it on and then wiped it back with a dry rag to achieve the grained look. Very easy application here, don’t overthink it!  I also added some gold Prima wax for detail!

 

All the products and tools used for the project:

Total Work Time Was about two hours, not including dry time.

And here it is now!  Let me know what you think!

 


Leave a Reply